Skip to content
China Olympics

AXA Assistance - International Travel Medical Insurance

All UK faculty and staff traveling abroad in the course and scope of UK employment, enrollment or representation, and all UK students traveling abroad for academic reasons are eligible for coverage under the University's blanket international travel medical insurance and evacuation policy. This coverage extends to dependent children and spouses or domestic partners of faculty or staff members who are traveling on the same trips. Coverage is not available for employees or students who are traveling solely for personal reasons (e.g., vacations).

Please Note: This plan is not intended as nor should it be construed as comprehensive medical coverage. For continuity of care, you should maintain domestic health insurance coverage.

To help ensure that you do not experience coverage interruptions overseas, and that UK is able to communicate instructions on access to coverage with you, please remember to register your trip with the UK International Center prior to your departure. After you have registered, you (or your proxy) will receive an automated e-mail with detailed instructions on how to access resources at UK's online insurance portal. Please ensure that you have created a log-in for the insurance portal before your departure.

UK's insurance policy includes coverage in a variety of areas, including the following:
  • Medical expenses, up to $250,000.
  • Medical evacuation expenses, up to 100% of incurred costs.
  • Repatriation of remains, up to 100% of incurred costs.
  • Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $12,500, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 24 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault.
  • Trip cancellation benefits, up to $2,500 if you are prevented from taking your trip due to certain covered events.
  • Trip interruption benefits, up to $2,500 if you must return home early due to certain covered events.
  • 14 days of additional coverage, if you plan to use personal time immediately before or after a business trip.
A full description of UK's policy for faculty and staff can be found here. The policy for students is available here.

Insurance coverage is offered to full-time UK employees at no charge. UK students (including graduate assistants, etc.) and Postdoctoral Fellows are charged $10.50 per week (rounded up to the nearest full week) for the coverage. The charge will be posted to their student account statement as one lump sum during the term in which they are abroad, and will only be charged for the traveler's international program dates- not for the entire term.

If you have questions regarding coverage, please direct them to Jason Hope, Director of International Health, Safety & Security, at

Prescription Medication Information

The legality of certain prescription medications varies between countries. For example, a medication that you take regularly in the United States may be more strictly controlled, or even illegal, in your destination country. If you plan to take prescription medication with you overseas, the UK International Center recommends that you take the following steps:
  • Contact AXA Assistance before departure so that they can research possible legal issues surrounding your medication in your destination country. This process takes 5-10 business days, so try to contact them well in advance of your trip.
  • Make sure that you carry all medication in its original bottle. Never mix medication or place it in an unmarked container. Always carry medication in your carry-on luggage.
  • If possible, pack enough medication to last your entire trip, and bring some extra in case of unforeseen delays.If possible, bring a copy of your prescription with you in case you are questioned at the border.
If you will need to have a prescription refilled while you are abroad, make sure to contact AXA Assistance as soon as possible. They will need certain information from your prescribing physician in order to assist you in refilling your prescription. Make sure to have your doctor complete this form, and send it to AXA Asssitance as soon as possible to begin the process.

Political Security and Natural Disaster Evacuation Services

In the event of certain covered natural or political disasters in your host country, travelers covered by UK's International Travel Medical Insurance policy are also eligible for evacuation service. The evacuation service will coordinate and pay to evacuate you to the nearest place of safety, or to the U.S. If you have a security concern or require evacuation, seek shelter as soon as possible and call AXA Assistance at 1-312-935-3542. Then call the UK Police Department at 1-859-257-8573, who will relay your information to the appropriate authorities on campus. Both AXA Assistance and the UK Police Department's phone lines are staffed at all times.

Claims Submission Information

In the event of an emergency where you are unable to contact AXA Assistance before seeking treatment, you may submit claims after the fact for reimbursement. A detailed description of the claims filing process can be found in this document.There are two forms which you may need to submit, depending on the circumstances: the medical claim form, and the trip cancellation or interruption claim form.Make sure to review the claims process before your departure to ensure that you are able to gather the required information from your healthcare provider.

Long-Term Disability Coverage

For travel to areas where war/terrorism represents a substantial risk, long-term disability coverage requires travel authorization at the level of the Provost or higher. E-mail approval should be directed to Chris Dudley, Employee Benefits, at Contact Associate Provost for Internationalization Sue Roberts at for further information.

Important Contact Information

To locate a provider near you for which AXA Assistance can set up a guarantee of payment, or for assistance in emergency situations, use the contact information listed below:

Worldwide Contact Number: 1-312-935-3542
USA Contact Number: 1-855-327-1469

Collect calls made from overseas will be accepted at the worldwide contact number.

For customer service, eligibility verification, plan information, or to file a claim, contact Administrative Concepts, Inc. at 1-888-293-9229 (from inside the US) or at 1-610-293-9229 (from outside the US), fax 610-293-9299, or e-mail Mail claims to: Administrative Concepts, Inc., 994 Old Eagle School Rd., S. 1005, Wayne, PA 19087-1706. Be sure to keep copies of all documents for your records.

Personal Property Insurance

UK students traveling abroad are eligible to purchase personal property insurance through Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. This insurance may cover items such as laptops, cell phones, books, musical instruments, etc. For more information on this optional coverage, please visit this link.