Skip to content

Non-Credit Group Travel Organized by UK Faculty or Staff

Each year, UK faculty and staff lead hundreds of students abroad for a variety of reasons.Whenever a faculty member and student(s) go abroad in a UK-related capacity, all travelers are required to register through the UK International Center for risk management and insurance purposes. UK employees in these situations often take on additional responsibilities under applicable federal law, such as the Clery Act, during such trips.

When UK employees accompany a student or group of students overseas, and the employee, department or college has significant oversight of the travel arrangements and logistics, a program development process is required, which must be reviewed by the UK International Center well before departure. It is recommended that this process be started at least four months prior to the planned departure date.

In general, groups of students being led by a faculty or staff member, such as performance art groups, clubs, etc. should use this development and registration process. However, the same process should be followed any time a faculty or staff member has significant oversight over building a trip with a student or group of students (e.g., a faculty member taking a single student abroad into the field to conduct research, and organizing the travel logistics). More information about the process, and links to the registration may be found at this link.

Please Note: All international programs for which UK students are earning academic credit must be coordinated through UK's Education Abroad office. Questions should be directed to Miko McFarland, Executive Director of Education Abroad & Exchanges.